Many Catholics receive the Sacrament of Confirmation in their early teenage years after they have already received First Communion (Holy Eucharist) because Confirmation is considered the second Sacrament of Initiation.
Some Christians see Confirmation as the “perfecting” of Baptism, in that the Baptized are more perfectly bound to the Church and are enriched with a special strength of the Holy Spirit.
A person is welcomed into the Catholic Church through the three Sacraments of Initiation: Baptism makes you a member of the Church, the Holy Eucharist feeds and strengthens you, and Confirmation helps you to be a witness to your faith.
At St. Dominic Savio Parish, Confirmation is usually celebrated when a child is in Grade 6 or older. Through this sacrament, God pours out the Holy Spirit to strengthen us with His gifts and anoints us to be more like Christ.
Our parish offers sacramental preparation, to support and encourage parents in their role as the first teachers and models of the faith. This includes classes for Parents (or sponsors) and Children to attend together at the church as well as scheduling dedicated study time together at home, before the reception of the Sacraments.
We will start accepting registrations for the Sacrament of Confirmation for youth aged 6 – 14 in November 2023.
CONFIRMATION REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS
- Confirmation Preparation is open to children in grade 6 and above who have received First Eucharist (Holy Communion). Sacramental preparation includes both family home study and catechism classes here at St. Dominic Savio parish. Students who are more than 14 years are to register for RCIA Adapted for Children.
- Registration MUST include a copy of the child’s BAPTISM CERTIFICATE, FIRST COMMUNION CERTIFICATE, and $35 REGISTRATION FEE for workbooks and class materials. Registration fee may be paid by one of the following methods: □ Cash at the Parish Office □ Cheque (payable to St. Dominic Savio Parish) □ Interac to StDominicSavio.Edm@caedm.ca (include your child’s name and “Confirmation” in the message section).
- Dates and times for Confirmation classes and Confirmation Mass are found below (2024 Confirmation Program Dates). Registration opens in November 2023.
- The Edmonton Archdiocese Confirmation Registration Form must also be submitted. Download and complete the registration form below or complete the Confirmation Registration Google form on our parish website (active when registration opens in November 2023).
- Submit completed forms at the Parish office by email to firstname.lastname@example.org OR drop off in person at the parish office.
Complete these forms (Remember to include the child’s BAPTISM CERTIFICATE, FIRST COMMUNION CERTIFICATE, and $35 REGISTRATION FEE).
Registration for the Sacrament of Confirmation Opens on November 6, 2023.
Registration Deadline is Friday, January 26, 2023 at 4 pm. If you have issues registering, please contact us in the parish office.
Contact Parish Office by phone at 780-473-4259 ext 2 or email email@example.com.
The class dates are:
Add this to your calendar app: Confirmation calendar
We also require 10 service hours before the end of classes.
How to Sign in for Sunday Masses: here
You can communicate via email at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have additional questions.
Regular office hours are 9:00 – 4:00 Monday to Friday, please allow time for responses.